I am a huge, HUGE note book person that often ends up carrying 2 to three of them at a time. So last night I decided to purchase my second tablet, the iPad Air. The tablet was to get my notebooks digitally organized, and save me some desk and purse space. I had to choose between the iPad Air and the Samsung Note 2014. I went back and forth with my choice all during the Bears game last night, even pulling my nephew, niece, and husband in on my decision making process. Because they didn’t have anything better to entertain them :-/
Just as I was about to purchase the Samsung Note, since the stylus pen felt more like what I am used to, the Apple rep saw me in awe with the stylus capabilities of the Note, said to me – “Why would you want to write on your tablet, when you can talk to it?!” He sold me the iPad Air.
Like I said, one of the reasons why I selected it was to get rid of the notebooks below.
Now, after years of the above situation on my desk, I am having to retrain my mind to get it used to utilizing the iPad for that.
Not sure if I can let all my notebooks go… Especially my life planner.
Last year I created my own. My life planner has all my passwords, my monthly/weekly planners, inspirational quotes, pouches, a place for my business cards, notes pages, and blogging/social media stuff in one colorful place.
So…. after hours of trying to get used to my new toy that would soon replace my notebooks and the planner, I have decided to still proudly make a life planner for 2014. And if you love cute, girly stationary, this may be perfect for you as well.
Here are shots from my 2013 one.
How I did it:
I simply printed out the customized sheets that I purchased from Etsy. Here is a list of the sheets I found very important:
- Passwords Sheet – I use this everyday to keep all of my passwords for sites, blog, etc.
- Monthly Aspirations – With this one I wrote down a new aspiration per month, and left lines for steps I could take to achieve that aspiration/goal.
- Removable Ruler – I use this for day placement.
- Marketing/Social Media/Blog Calendar – Even though I rarely followed it, it was great reminding me that I had work to do.
- Day Scheduler w/Devotionals on the top – My daily devotionals help me get through my days, and having a constant reminder there in my face is a HUGE boost.
- Zippered Pouch – For Me I keep my swatches, clippings, and paint colors tucked away safely away in my planner.
- Business Card Sheet – Well I have 2 places in my planner, a place to keep my business cards on the front cover, and a 8×10 sheet for collected cards.
- Weekly calendars w/Time Slots – I rarely needed to do a month at a glance – the weekly ones got the most use.
- Blank Lined Notes/Blank Graph/Blank Sketch Paper- This was helpful especially when I would meet with clients, and needed to take notes on the room or do a quick sketch.
- Client/Project To Do List: This saved my life last year! I had a page dedicated to each project I was woking on, and daily I used it. This is a great idea for event planners, and designers like me.
*Tip – These notebooks fill easily – use a less heavier paper, or a bright white copy paper to fill your DIY Planner with. Laminate the Sections with heavier paper and monthly tabs.
So after all of my sheets were printed,
- I laminated the inside covers,
- added month tabs,
- hole punched and put it together.
I decided to use a binder vs, a hard, or laminated cover because I needed the pockets for all the sheets of paper I carry around, and I needed room for a zippered pouch.
may be is easier to carry around a spiral bound notebook planner vs. my binder. If I were you plan on using lightweight papers to print this thing on and have it spiral bound at Office Max much like the Erin Condren version below. This way it will be less cumbersome and lighter than what I had in 2013.
Here is the Etsy site much like where I downloaded my 2013 sheets from: http://www.etsy.com/shop/KellyBangsCreative?page=2
Another Great Resource for DIY Life Planner Printables:
- Into Finances/budgets: https://www.etsy.com/listing/168200109/finances-kit-budget-and-bill-pay?ref=market
- A smaller Planner – https://www.etsy.com/listing/177012781/project-life-planner-pages-weekly-pages?ref=market
- For the Divas: https://www.etsy.com/listing/176535402/my-blog-planner-posts-series?ref=listing-shop-header-1
- Love Color? : https://www.etsy.com/listing/176535402/my-blog-planner-posts-series?ref=listing-shop-header-1
There is also great news for those that do not feel like putting this all together, and her name is Erin Condren. Almost everyone has heard of her, at least anyone looking for a life planner. She just lets you click and order everything that you need. It even arrives at your home cutely wrapped:
So all in all – In 2014 I will be totally defeating one of the tablets purposes and carrying the iPad Air AND my DIY Life Planner.